Tuesday, February 9, 2010

My Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

When it comes to movies, I want something that is going to make me laugh, has a lot of action and if possible, zombies. Generally I avoid the science fiction genre because it often is beyond what my mind wants to accept as plausible or entertaining. But what happens when you see a science fiction movie or in this case, a BBC series (narrated word for word from the novel) that came true and is genuinely enjoyable?!?!

-

If it isn`t general knowledge than it should be known that, The Hitchhiker`s Guide to the Galaxy featured in Douglas Adams book of the same name (and the Trilogy of Five books thereafter) predicts and predates the internet. What began in 1978 as a radio sketch, before being published into five novels a year later, is hauntingly familiar. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is a source of universal information for those hitchhiking the galaxy, accessible from anywhere and is reminiscent of a `lap computer`.

-

So, in honour of things that make me go whoa, I will revisit a mild obsession of mine, for which I can thank my man… and Douglas Adams of course.

-

My Top 5 Websites that make up my version of THE HITCHHIKERS GUIDE TO THE GALAXY.

-

1) Google.com- this is often my first stop and aids me in linking to cooking sites, how-to sites and answering the random questions that come into conversation.

-

2) AllMusic.com- It does a pretty damn good job filling me in on bands I love and introducing me to others, with brief biographies, discographies, etc… it has settled many debates.

-

3)IMDB.com- it tells you all about movies and television show with episode guides, casts and synopsis. One of the most used features is the actor`s resumes because when you think you recognize an actor it tells you if you are right, or often in my case, wrong.

-

4) Wikipedia.com- is an online encyclopedia compiled by international volunteers, most often experts in their subjects. Interesting fact about Wikipedia: it follows the same format as H2G2.com, which is an actual online Hitchhikers Guide to the World that invites users to contribute content and it predates Wikipedia by 2 years.

-

5) Favourite time wasters*: Trendhunter.com, various food and fashion blogs I peak at periodically (such as seriouseats.com and stylebubble.typepad.com). For online shopping: I use ebay.com for vintage and etsy.com for artist products and unique jewelry. I also have become a fan of themeatguy.jp.co and theflyingpig.com to order food goods while living in Japan. *I know that this is actually more than one site and I would probably say that I waste the most time on ebay but I thought the others were worth noting.

-

What is your Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy? What sites do you used the most?

No comments:

Post a Comment