Sunday, May 16, 2010

Summer Nights





I am getting very excited about heading back to Toronto this summer for a few weeks of glory and celebrations. Thus, I thought I would revisit a great memory from right before I left for Japan. This picture is me and my platonic Russian Lady Love and Band Mate, 'Margot'. We are unintentionally two sides of the "red lipstick and leather" look; I went for the casual dressed-up look and she went for the dressed-up casual look. This photo was taken outside of an art show at P165 in Kensington Market, Toronto.

I had just dyed my hair back to dark brown after 7 years of red (an effort to blend slightly in Japan).

THE OUTFIT

The Dress- This dress was a cheap little vintage number I found at my favourite Value Village. I loved the colours and how casual the cut is. I added some cinching at the waist using my elastic and leather all-purpose corset belt, also from Value Village, and a white scarf from my mother's collection.

The Jacket- This jacket was an early birthday gift from my parents as that I would be in Japan. It is the only new leather jacket I have ever owned. Though I feel conflicted about it from an ethical perspective I also love it so much! It is a forest green, buttery leather, exaggerated collared jacket from Danier Leather with loads of stitching detail. My mother calls it my grown-up leather jacket.

ACCESSORIES

White Woven Oxford Style Shoes- These shoes are lovingly referred to as my "Martina's" because a girlfriend of ours consistently rocks them. These were bought at Good Will while visiting my parents at a cottage in Northern Ontario. They are Dr. Scholls, so they don't have the thin soles usually found on shoes like this.

Stiff Grey Leather Purse with a Woven flap- The leather flap is woven in the same material as the rest of the bag. It was yet another Value Village purchase.

Straw Veiled Mini Top Hat- While all my others are vintage, I saw this one in the window of Le Chateau, a store I usually avoid like the plaque, mainly because I avoid malls* and think their products usually look cheap. This however, was a beautifully crafted little number reminiscent of a time and place I love. Walked in, bought it, walked out, happy.

Tights and Necklace- I wish the tights were more opaque as that I am blessed/cursed with muscular legs. And the necklace was replica of a 45" RPM Adapter, purchased from and artisan vendor in Montreal while on a road trip.

*Malls are like zoos for fashion. Like the animals garments are taken out of context and made more palatable for a broader audience. Both leave me feeling sad, even if I have had a couple of oohs and aahs moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment