Sunday, May 23, 2010

My Top 5 Movies

These are 5 of my favourite movies, not necessarily in this order. I am not going to write a plot or synopsis on each film because if you are reading this than you are also capable of using imdb.com, wikipedia.com or doing a google search to find out more. Better yet, take a chance, watch it and find out (warning: each film has varying degrees of graphic violence or a death)

“True Romance”
1993, Directed by Tony Scott written by Quentin Tarantino, is my ultimate Romantic Comedy, though the humor element is subjective and it can be amazing gruesome at times. There is no greater compliment than saying “You’re so cool” and actually meaning it.

“Hard Core Logo”
1996, Directed by Bruce MacDonald, adapted by Noel Baker from a novel written by Michael Turner, is both punk as fuck and insanely beautiful. Without a doubt this is the best Canadian film ever made.

“Battle Royale”
2000, Directed by Kinki Fukasaku, adapted by Kenta Fukasaku from a novel written by Koushun Takami, is my favourite movie with subtitles, though the action alone tells the story. When I first watched this movie I fell hard for it and instantly measured my killing abilities against those in the room; Watch it and you will understand. It is action packed.
Fun (for me) fact: The novel “Batoru Rowaiaru” was written by someone from Shikoku, Japan and takes place in Shikoku and though the location is changed in the movie version, the filming was done in Shikoku as well and I am, by coincidence, currently living in Shikoku.

“Dawn of the Dead” 1978, Directed and written by George A. Romero is my favourite zombie film. It started my love and thus (to me) is quintessentially classic. In my opinion George A. Romero is the godfather of the zombie film genre.

“Don’t Tell Mom the Babysitter is Dead”
1991, Directed by Stephen Herek, written by Neil Landau and Tara Ison, was my favourite movie when I was younger. I loved the idea of no supervision, fashion and mayhem! The rewatch value for me is retained by how nostalgically charming it reads all these years later.

Honorable mentions
: Hype!, The Outsiders, The Warriors, Evil Dead (I and II), Shawn of the Dead, Zombie Land, High Fidelity, and so many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment